Thursday, August 16, 2007

Young people, big dreams

"I would love to be a marine biologist when I grow up. I am like a little shark."

"Not me. I do enjoy field biology, but marine science isn't really my thing. I want to be an ornithologist."

This is a real conversation between two of our campers this week. We are offering a week of camp for grades 6-9, and the questions are tough! The excitement is high! That is, as long as there is some competition involved.

Despite requests for wiffleball, kickball, and ultimate frisbee, we have also managed to incorporate the campers' competitive natures into our camp this week. We have played 1) the try to find as many unique animals as you can game, 2) the jeopardy style habitat game, and 3) the split into 3 teams and identify that sandy beached up shell/body part game. The latter of these was the favorite of all, with tails of horseshoe crabs, claws of blue crabs, and (most challenging) the center spiral of a whelk shell all possible clues.

Sometimes all it takes is a little friendly competition to want to learn more!

No comments: